Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Rome update

I didn't have photos posted yesterday because my Internet connection was a bit slow, and I was too tired to wait for it. I've got an abundance of photos, though.

Yesterday We visited many of the ancient Rome sites, and here's a shot of the Colisseum:


Today we went to Vatican city, first for the massive museum (4 miles of exhibits), and then the basilica. Throughout the entire museum, except for the Sistine Chapel, non-flash photography is permitted, but no photography at all is permitted in the Sistine Chapel. Don't ask how I came into possession of this photo from the Sistine Chapel:


And here's one from inside St. Peter's Basilica, which is the largest church in the world, and it is BIG.



When we came back (via taxi) to our hotel, we saw many police and some television crews. This evening the street is barricaded, and a helicopter is circling above, as it was all afternoon. Apparently these are precautions against widening protests.

We walked a couple blocks to a little neighborhood restaurant, where everyone except us spoke Italian, and the waitress and owner weren't very interested in attempting any English. He is a short stout fellow, and asked if our food was good, and he greeted other regular patrons with the double cheek kiss, and even pinched one gentleman on the cheek. When one of the regulars paid their bill, the owner just pulled out a wad of cash, added the payment to his wad, and extracted the change - no pesky cash register in that exchange. Some other customers came in that didn't speak Italian, and the conversation got a little bit lively, then he went to the kitchen and returned with an eggplant and a large plate of pieces of cheese. The cheese he put on their table, and the eggplant he waved in their faces. I think they'll be having eggplant this evening.

Tomorrow is our last full day. Our plan is to visit Galleria Borghese for even more art, and then after that there's one more sight I want to see: my ass in my recliner in my house. This vacation stuff is hard work.

2 comments:

  1. Hey M & J,

    Thanks for taking us with you on this journey. We get a bunch of the goodies without having to leave our comfortable houses and our comfortable recliners. We DO miss the food! I'm looking forward to catching up on all the details you couldn't fit into the blog.

    Nate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nate,
    Yes, there are more photos and more information to share, and I plan to continue to update the blog after I get home with more. The food stories and photos will make you cry, and other things also.

    I'm glad you're enjoying it!

    Matt

    ReplyDelete