Just like the previous two mornings, the alarm went off at 7:15, because I had told Pierre we would take breakfast at 8:30. He slept in this morning, but like the previous mornings, his mother Therese had cooked up a storm for us. Breakfast today included the usual omelet with some garden greens and homegrown tomatoes, crepes (because she's French), yogurt, breakfast bruschetta with sausage and cheese, and tiramisu, which may have been a leftover from the dinner last night (we ate dinner at a restaurant in Siena the previous evening).
We headed east, stopping at a village on Lake Trasimeno for espresso, bathroom, leg stretching, and a FaceTime chat with my sister in PA. Continued on to Perugia where the castle we have booked is beyond our expectations. Of course, we got slightly lost, but the iPad with the local cellular data sim saved my bacon once again. We also have a Garmin GPS unit that I loaded with
Italy maps before leaving the US, but the GPS has not been helpful, and the iPad has been almost spot on. I'm using it almost constantly, draining the battery each day, and so far in 10 days, have used only 780 MB, and my card is good for 5 GB in 30 days, I think, for a cost of 35 euro, about $47. The GPS unit displays Italy map data, but usually shows us as being off course. Perhaps the satelites here are not as accurate.
Italy maps before leaving the US, but the GPS has not been helpful, and the iPad has been almost spot on. I'm using it almost constantly, draining the battery each day, and so far in 10 days, have used only 780 MB, and my card is good for 5 GB in 30 days, I think, for a cost of 35 euro, about $47. The GPS unit displays Italy map data, but usually shows us as being off course. Perhaps the satelites here are not as accurate.
BTW, Jamie and Leesa, we found the perfect location for your next lake home.
Everywhere are hills. For example, to get to the part of town in which we now sit, we took many steep flights of stairs up from our parking spot, then to get to this bar from the street, we walked down a steep alley, and now we sit at an open window, looking down into a 3 story courtyard.
As we walked, storm clouds started forming, and here you can see the falling rain in the center of the photo:
To close, I want to relate this story: the young woman who works as a waitress at the bar asked where we are from, and I answered, "Texas, in the United States". With a big smile, she explained that she is from Kosovo, and she and many other people are grateful to the US for our intervention in the Serbian conflicts during the mid and late 1990s. That conversation, along with the hugs, smiles, and tears from Therese at the B&B, made for memorable personal connections.























Matt, you sound almost wistful already. As I wrote earlier, you seem much more relaxed in your travels this time around. It seems, from across the pond, that this trip is more of a homecoming and thus, more intimate for both of you. It appears to me that you're connecting with the country and the people in a more personal way. It brings me closer to your experience as well.
ReplyDeleteI would shed tears over leaving that B&B as well: dessert and home-cooked, well, everything for breakfast! In fact, I think I'll cry some right now! Also as you wrote, a little sad to ponder Therese's future on the land and with her business. Although, if I were a betting man, and given your wanderlust, I'd wager that she might still be there the NEXT time you go...
Lake Trasimeno looks absolutely lovely. If Jamie and Leesa decide that you are right and get a place in the environs, well, yet another reason to go back! Mindy commented that you were quite animated on the call - perhaps the espresso in the village has a little something special. That's a selling point for Jamie and Leesa, and a reason to sit and watch the locals if nothing else.
OK, now Matt, just level with me; I can't tell with certainty from the 85 pictures you took, or the effusive commentary about your true feelings: did you really, honestly, actually enjoy staying at the castle? It looks REALLY cool! The fruit trees and gardens inside the walls, the watch towers etc., remind me that those were there to make sure you could eat in the middle of a siege. Pretty cool, and kinda scary.
Your evening nosh looks delicious. I noticed that the chair in which you sat was a rocking chair - how civilized. Why don't American restaurants have those?
I know some people travel to make sure they've "been to" a certain spot, or park, or event, or country, or whatever. They then check it off the list of places to go. It is "out of their system." You talked about it last time you went and I think this trip continued the process for you; I think Italy has gotten IN to your system. Likely to stay there I'd venture.
Thanks for sharing all this.
Nate