This morning we slept until 830, then I went to the duomo to climb 463 steps to the cupola, but there were already about 20 people in line, chatty and with fancy cameras, so I didn't think it would be possible to get up there and back in an hour, which was about the time I had before having to check out of the hotel and fetch the rent car. Final Duomo photo:
And photo of the Florence hotel:
And photo of the Florence hotel:
Visited San Lorenzo market and Jenae bought a few scarves, including one for me so I look more like a native, and stay a bit warmer during the cool evenings and mornings.
Walked about 20 minutes along narrow, crowded, and irregular sidewalks, dragging our carry-ons to the Hertz car rental place. People were lined up outside, and one of them explained that it was an hour wait. Now I had to decide if I wanted to explain that to Jenae or risk the wrath of all the people waiting, so I walked to front of the line and said "Gold Club?", and the answer was that I do not need to wait. A lot of people gave me the stinkeye, but I did not have to tell Jenae we would need to wait - win! We got a clunky boxy Fiat diesel thing, and I started driving. I was nervous for about 20 minutes, for two reasons: trying to find A11 autostrada out of Florence, and also being sure I did not enter the dreaded ZTL, which gets you a violation of more than $130 several weeks after your vacation, for entering a prohibited traffic zone. Also, let me add that the painted stripes on Italian streets and freeways are really nothing more than a vague suggestion of where your vehicle should be in relation to other vehicles. Faster and smaller vehicles really get their choice of position on the roadway, especially motorcycles and scooters, which frequently dart between lanes and pass you on whichever side is convenient. It's quite lively.
Once we got on the freeway (autostrada), and with the help of the iPad and a GPS unit, we arrived in Lucca in an hour or so, and here the pace is much slower and relaxed. It is an ancient walled city, very charming, with far fewer tourists, and an even more authentic Italian feel.
Walked about 20 minutes along narrow, crowded, and irregular sidewalks, dragging our carry-ons to the Hertz car rental place. People were lined up outside, and one of them explained that it was an hour wait. Now I had to decide if I wanted to explain that to Jenae or risk the wrath of all the people waiting, so I walked to front of the line and said "Gold Club?", and the answer was that I do not need to wait. A lot of people gave me the stinkeye, but I did not have to tell Jenae we would need to wait - win! We got a clunky boxy Fiat diesel thing, and I started driving. I was nervous for about 20 minutes, for two reasons: trying to find A11 autostrada out of Florence, and also being sure I did not enter the dreaded ZTL, which gets you a violation of more than $130 several weeks after your vacation, for entering a prohibited traffic zone. Also, let me add that the painted stripes on Italian streets and freeways are really nothing more than a vague suggestion of where your vehicle should be in relation to other vehicles. Faster and smaller vehicles really get their choice of position on the roadway, especially motorcycles and scooters, which frequently dart between lanes and pass you on whichever side is convenient. It's quite lively.
Once we got on the freeway (autostrada), and with the help of the iPad and a GPS unit, we arrived in Lucca in an hour or so, and here the pace is much slower and relaxed. It is an ancient walled city, very charming, with far fewer tourists, and an even more authentic Italian feel.
Next three photos are our hotel in Lucca:
Walked to old Church of San Giovanni for Puccini opera concert:
Front of church




















Absolutely love photos of Lucca! Bennie is great!
ReplyDeleteCindy
I'd love a shot of you in your new "native" scarf, perhaps while you sip your morning brew. Cool gate, cool room (M LOVED your ceiling), wicked cool bike, mighty impressive wall, stunning church (how is it that the ALL manage to be stunning!), and AWESOME looking first course! I can only imagine how good the second course was if you were entranced enough to miss gathering the data! Loving this blog...thanks for sharing. N
ReplyDelete