Today we checked out of the hotel in Torino and said goodbye to our traveling companions. We took a cab from the hotel to the train station, about a mile away, which made for another new experience: Italian cab driver. Within 6 blocks of the hotel, he blew through 3 stop signs, but we got to the trains station intact. Mindy and Nate were going northeast to Milan, and we were going southeast to Rapallo, on the coast just south of Genoa. We had a great time with them, and we all wished they had more time to stay in Italy, but they needed to return to Pennsylvania.
First, before checking out, I took a few photos of the two bedroom apartment that the four of us shared while in Torino.
The four of us as we said goodbye to each other. Thanks to the kind Italian man for taking the photo, in spite of his overactive toddler daughter!
For Jenae and I, it was a three hour train ride, changing trains in Genoa, arriving in Rapallo at about 2:30 pm. After a 5 minute cab ride to the hotel (mainly because we were uncertain of where to go), we checked in, and walked along the waterside promenade.
Below is a photo of our hotel room in Rapallo. Small, somewhat old, but a view of the ocean, and run by very nice people.
By then we were quite hungry, so we went into an enoteca (wine bar), where we shared a plate of prosciutto, ham, salami, cheeses, some bread, and a bottle of Ligurian wine. After that, a bit of gelato, then back to the hotel where Jenae would relax while I went out to find the TIM store (cell phone store), to buy a new data card for my iPad since I got ripped off when I bought the last data card last Monday in Venice from Vodaphone. The TIM card works much better, and is cheaper.
Here's the bayside promenade in Rapallo. Very charming, with locals and tourists strolling, visiting, or just sitting, watching people, dogs, and boats.
I've seen a lot of cacti in Texas, but this one was very big, growing at the base of a palm tree.
Scooters are quite popular in Rapallo, and we saw a couple of dogs that ride along with their people. This is Luna, ready to go!
And finally, a photo of a nice bicycle.
It had been sunny this afternoon, but a rainstorm moved in while I was at the store. That lasted about an hour or two, but I had an umbrella with me, so no problem. Rapallo is small and very walkable, and after getting freshened up at the hotel, we went to Gli Angeli for our 8:30 dinner reservation. That was another great dinner, and yes, I have photos, which are forthcoming in the stunning food blog!
When we got back to the hotel at about 10:30, the night clerk was listening to Stevie Ray Vaughn. He had a big smile when I told him we're from Texas, and he proclaimed he loved SRV. It was a fun way to make a connection.
Bicycles in Italy are really nice.
ReplyDelete